as I sit here on the eve of the start of your 7th month…here on this unpredictable earth…I wonder what a bore the last 6 months would have been without you.
with tears in my eyes (thanks to aunt Kathy for starting the emotions running tonight) I put you in your crib already fast asleep and I think of all the things you have taught your dad and I. From your cleft, to tube feeding, to your oxygen, to your pulse oximeter, to your many doctors that care for your health so much, to the plain and simple everyday baby things (P&SBT) you do…we are better people. We know more and we do better because of you, our Sweet Baby Hannah (one day I will stop embarrassing you with that name). I think it is the P&SBT that get me the most
I know I have said it before, but you continue to amaze us….and surprise us.
first the surprise…with a difficult time eating and getting comfortable the last couple of weeks, we had an appointment with Dr. Stathos, your GI doc (I know, its hard to keep them all straight) on Friday last week. because you had less than desirable weight gain, a number of dirty diapers each day and a hard time keeping food in your tummy, he wants to take a look inside to see what is the bother. well…that is going to be this week already. he happens to be at the “right” hospital, Presbyterian/St. Luke's, this week, he can accommodate us without you having to wait too long in discomfort. we will know on Tuesday what day your procedure will be scheduled for, likely Wednesday or Thursday. we have an idea of what is bothering you, likely a hiatal hernia. the same thing we thought a few months back. now it is time to get it figured out.
the thought is, your lungs are not going to get stronger and healthier until you stop refluxing and spiting up. the acid you spit up is irritating your airway and limiting the healing progress.
step one: fix your tummy
step two: strengthen your lungs
step three: eat food!
step four: continue to amaze us!!!!
so, on to your amazement…you smile when we smile | you laugh at us and with us | you are holding your head up with strength | you are moving all over the place on your back | you are sitting (for a few minutes) with enjoyment and looking for things to play with| you have your first tooth | with a second not too far behind | you suck your thumb like it is going out of style, when you are tired anyway | P&SBT | you are 24” long | you weigh 13 lbs. 2 oz. |
one day soon you will be crawling, then walking and then soon you will be on ski’s cruising down the mountain with your dad, while I sit by the fire inside with a glass of wine…yes, I am not afraid to say that I do like my wine…and I am sure I will then too. that day will come sooner than we all know it…just as fast as your 7th month has arrived.
good night our SBH…tomorrow is a whole new day…for each and every one of us.
love mom & dad
PS. to aunt Kathy…you ask how we do it, how do we get through each day working, managing Hannah's health, being a wife & husband, a mom & a dad, keeping everything on track, on schedule & coordinated. we do it for one reason…our little Hannah. she knows when we are sad or out of whack. so we have to forge ahead in a the most positive and proactive way possible. she understands that we couldn’t do it without our friends and family being there for us and supporting us thru each and everyday. sometimes, yes, I do feel like I am just going thru the motions…but it feels good to go thru the motions sometimes…at times I feel like it is normal…it is just what we do, it is our life. i wouldn’t change it for the world.
everyone's life is different and difficult…unique to each one of us.

No comments:
Post a Comment